An Intern’S Summertime Experience: Back Upward From Employee Resources Groups

With The Internship premiering only days earlier I started my intern orientation at Google, my friends were to a greater extent than excited most my summertime labor than 1 powerfulness unremarkably expect. But my internship was especial for reasons beyond the Hollywood notoriety that accompanied my arrival to Mountain View. One of those reasons was the active presence of Google’s Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) as well as how welcoming they’ve been to interns.

Open to Googlers everywhere, ERGs are grassroots networks amongst shared values of supporting multifariousness as well as inclusion throughout our fellowship as well as our communities. Surprised to discovery that 20+ unique ERGs existed to laid about with, I was relieved when I institute out that interns, who are treated similar full-time Googlers, could participate inwards them every bit well.

From H2O ice cream socials to BBQs as well as salsa dancing, ERGs gave us opportunities to larn to know Googlers from unlike seniority levels as well as functions—while having fun! The events I attended brought interns together amongst entry-level Googlers, managers, directors as well as senior VPs; Googlers inwards sales, marketing, people operations, global business, small-scale trouble organisation (SMB) services as well as engineering.

While many ERG events are social, Googlers inwards these groups too direct maintain a deep touching on on social issues as well as the fellowship at large. In calorie-free of the DOMA determination inwards June, Gayglers rallied the entire business office for San Francisco’s Pride parade. Some of my swain interns described the parade every bit a highlight. Shawn Saunders, a senior at Brown University as well as SMB services intern, told me “through the Gayglers, I was able to honour a community of queer as well as allied Googlers who genuinely helped colouring my experiences at Google.”


The Special Needs Network engaged interns inwards this summer’s Disability Pride Parade. Aubrie Lee, a senior at Stanford University as well as people operations intern, told me the Googlers inwards the Special Needs Network “with or without disabilities—understand that multifariousness is non only most colouring or orientation. They are my allies inwards fighting stigma, both inwards the basis as well as at work."


In reply to the Trayvon Martin verdict, the Black Googler’s Network (BGN) organized a hoodie march on campus to enhance awareness roughly unconscious bias as well as racial profiling. The march had a profound touching on on me inwards showing the value of community as well as back upward amid dark Googlers. As Tanisha Hospedale, a senior at the University of Pennsylvania as well as People Operations intern, said, “I am really grateful for BGN as well as the trouble solid unit of measurement I direct maintain made from existence a constituent of this group.”


One major takeaway from my internship is that Google continues to hold upward a house where Googlers tin forcefulness out select their total selves to piece of job piece too having strong, supportive communities to autumn dorsum on. “I tin forcefulness out say that Google doesn't only verbalise most a commitment to multifariousness as well as inclusion, but genuinely demonstrates this through supporting ERGs,” said Jasmine McElroy, a senior at Howard University as well as People Operations intern. “These groups direct maintain made me experience similar I belong here.”


Sumber http://googleblog.blogspot.com

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Explore The Galapagos’ Biodiversity Alongside Street View

Connecting Across Continents

Connecting Across Continents